Terms & Conditions
Separation of duties
Warranty/Contract/Seperation of duties
Insurgo buys it’s refurbished hardware from a trusted third party
The refurbisher’s facility has been visited often and is still visited often by Insurgo. The quality of the delivered laptops are guaranteed to be Grade “A”.
The refurbisher’s provided battery is guaranteed to be at least 60% of its original capacity for a period of 14 days.
The refurbisher offers a base warranty of 14 days upon Insurgo‘s shipment confirmed reception by the end user and covers parts.
The refurbisher warranty is on parts and labor.
Hardware return requests will proxy through Insurgo first.
The refurbisher receives second hand hardware.
The refurbisher puts gloves on.
The refurbisher cleans the fan and reapply thermal paste on the CPU and replace broken chassis part and fan if required.
The refurbisher replaces RTC battery.
The refurbisher cleans the keyboard and replaces it if needed.
The refurbisher upgrades the firmware to latest version from preinstalled Windows.
The refurbisher validates hardware performance for 12 hours run time test through Windows Experience Index while measuring that the CPU’s heat stays cool during testing.
The refurbisher cleans the chassis and screen with Isopropyl alcohol.
The refurbisher prepares the shipment to Insurgo and removes his gloves.
Insurgo puts gloves on and opens received shipment.
Insurgo opens the computer chassis.
Insurgo inspects that the plastic film covering the hardware components, permitting water to drain from the keyboard to under the laptop, has not been physically tampered with.
Insurgo then proceeds to reflash the 2 SPI flash chips. Doing so, it neuters Intel ME and installs Heads x230-flasher firmware.
Insurgo replaces the wifi card with an Atheros AR5BHB116 300Mbps wifi card and closes the case.
Insurgo boots the laptop, wipes present Windows installation from Heads and flashes reproducible rom downloaded from its GitLab’s CI‘s QubesOS_Certified branch
Insurgo Owns the TPM, inserts his Deployment Nitrokey public key inside the Heads’ rom and reboots.
Insurgo types his own Nitrokey Deployment signing key LibremKey/Nitrokey passphrase and seals TOTP/HOTP.
Insurgo boots Nitrokey Deployment signed Clonezilla iso and clones the latest QubesOS disk image through its dockstation’s SSD drive.
Insurgo validates the working state of the hardware and QubesOS functionnality by connecting to Insurgo‘s local network, apply latest QubesOS updates and syncs the system clock to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT+0 timezone). In case of installed updates, the installation is cloned back into Dock station’s SSD drive to serve as a disk image for future deployment.
Insurgo launches the reownership wizard with a new Nitrokey/LibremKey connected to USB port, reencrypts LUKS container of both internal and USB drive, owns the NitroKey/LibremKey with Admin and User PINs, owns the TPM, takes a TOTP screenshot and sends related information to end user through secured communication channel. Note that all passphrases here are randomly selected diceware passphrases. A backup of provisioned secrets is present under provided USB Disk and will be shown to the user to be replaced from the OEM Wizard after having typed the Disk Recovery Key passphrase.
Insurgo validates TOTP/HOTP codes. Reboots. Validates the codes again.
Insurgo applies a 1cm diameter brand sticker on the power button.
Insurgo applies a 1cm diameter brand sticker to cover the main screw securing the keyboard to the chassis under the laptop and applies nail polish around its edge as a physical tamper evidence proof.
Insurgo cleans the chassis and screen with Isopropyl alcohol.
Insurgo prepares shipment.
Insurgo removes his gloves.
Insurgo guarantees that the hardware left his facility in a working state.
Shipping insurances covering total hardware and labor costs are included in shipping costs, which requires signature from end user upon reception. If you decide to make the shipment signature free, lost of shipment will become your responsibility.
If the laptop arrives in a damaged box, please take precaution prior to accepting the delivered package: open the box and inspect hardware. If the laptop is damaged, it is the shipper responsibility to deal with the caused damage: don’t accept shipment and contact Insurgo immediately. If the laptop doesn’t boot from the acceptation of a damaged box, trouble arises and you will have to take responsibility. Be warned.
Insurgo is responsible for the labor and testing of functional hardware while the refurbisher is responsible for the parts and refurbishing the hardware.
Reflashing the hardware, internally or externally may lead to having a brick and voids QubesOS certification and Insurgo’s warranty.
Software and user support is offered through project communities.
Insurgo is a proud collaborator of both QubesOS and Heads project, which support is offered through github ticketing system. Please search for your issue prior to opening a new ticket. You’re now part of the community 🙂
- Insurgo Open Technologies warrant its devices or hardware products against defects in materials and workmanship when used normally in accordance to its designed operational conditions, following distributors original warranties. Purism and Nitrokey warrants their new products for 1 year, while the refurbisher warranty applied at the moment of reception of undamaged products.
- Warranty does not apply to the software delivered with the devices: like all free and open source software, QubesOS/Heads and its software components are provided on AS IS basis, without warranties of any kind either express or implied.
- Warranty does not apply:
(a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are expected to diminish over time and normal use, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; The battery is nonetheless warrantied to be at least 60% capacity for 14 days.
(b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship;
(c) to damage caused by use with a third party component or product that does not meet the Insurgo Open Technologies specifications;
(d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, fire, liquid contact, earthquake, war, meteor strike or other external cause;
(e) to damage caused by operating the device outside normal operating conditions (like extreme temperatures, extreme humidity, in a vacuum, etc.);
(f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Insurgo Open Technologies;
(g) to a device that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Insurgo Open Technologies;
(h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the device.
- If, for any reason, you want to cancel your order before it was shipped, we will issue a full refund.
- If there is a defective hardware component, the refurbisher/original manufacturer will send you a replacement part or a new product unit free of charge (see Warranty #2 and #3).
Data protection and privacy
- By buying through Insurgo Open Technologies, you agree to comply with all applicable legal provisions regarding data protection in Canada jurisdiction.
- The payment related information provided to Insurgo Open Technologies follows Stripe accepted Canadian services Agreement
- Insurgo Open Technologies keeps a record of the delivery and E-Mail addresses, while the refurbisher keeps records of hardware serial numbers.
- The delivery address is used in the sole purpose of shipping the hardware to the customer.
- The provided customer E-mail address is used to automatically confirm order and initiate first contact with customer by Insurgo. After having completing bounding monetary transaction, Insurgo acts as a OEM. E-Mail address is used to determine with customer a second point of contact (GPG encrypted E-mail, Signal, Matrix, ZeroNet) to provide hardware related provisioned information ( TOTP QR Code: to be scanned from an OTP application on your smartphone as a second factor to validate firmware integrity upon reception.Disk Recovery Key passphrase: used to decrypt both provided USB Disk and QubesOS installation; this information will be asked of you in the Reownership Wizard to reencrypt them with your own.)
- The hardware serial number is kept by the refurbisher in the sole purpose of providing additional warranty extensions from customers that will desire so, Insurgo doesn’t keep it.
- Your personal data are exclusively used for the processing of contracts made between you and us. Under no circumstances will the data collected be used beyond of the contractual purpose, or otherwise sold to third parties.